Friday, December 31, 2010

NEW YEAR - NEW LIFE?

Each year on December 31st I tell myself that next year I am going to transform my life. Next year is going to be the year that I iron all my clothes on a regular basis, have an immaculately tidy house, go to the gym 5 times per week (not because I think I have to but because I have boundless amounts of energy), become a size 4, earn a salary that can truly afford all the lovely clothes I want. Each December 31st, I imagine myself considerably slimmer, much richer, with amazing hair, and ideally fit enough to run a marathon.


This year is different. I just happened to catch sight of myself in some photos from about 3 years ago, to my surprise I looked extremely good (much better than I remembered), my hair looked fantastic, I of course was slimmer (and younger), and the pictures reminded me that my house looked lovely. However at the time I remember being totally dissatisfied with my appearance and my life. It’s interesting to realise that the photographs tell a decidedly different story. I now realize that my life isn’t the problem, and I probably don’t need to make too many drastic changes (maybe go to the gym more often and eat a little better). The problem is how I perceive my life. I like a lot of people are so outwardly focused on other peoples’ lives, and what other people are doing and the grass always looks greener on the other side. I don’t stop to look around me and truly appreciate what I have. I have all the components of a really full life; the only missing ingredient is gratitude.

My New Year’s resolution is gratitude!

Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment