Friday, January 28, 2011

SLOWING DOWN AND REDUCING MENTAL CLUTTER

I really need to slow down. I tend to live my life at breakneck speed. I alternate between procrastination and doing everything at 100 miles a minute. I have always had a low tolerance for slow movers. It brings to mind an extremely slow cashier, who does not seem to have a sense of urgency despite there being 20 people in the line. However, I’m not sure if my frenetic pace is more effective. I have a constant sense of dread in doing something as it requires such effort to put on my sprinting shoes, warm up and prep myself for the race of my life (e.g. cleaning the house). I usually find an infinite number of time wasting activities to prevent myself from having to start the race. When I finally begin, the first 20 minutes usually involves running around the house trying to do ten things at once. Then it’s time for a break, as this energy level just isn’t sustainable. Breaks are my friend; however breaks also give me with another opportunity to consider all the other things I could be doing. Before I know it I have one load of washing that is still in the machine (wet), I have one clean toilet, one half vacuumed living room and five ironed t-shirts, and that is where my efforts end. I am now on my way to the store to buy a new clock for the living room. It is probably safe to say that I sometimes lack direction.

My mind usually also runs at a thousand miles an hour, which allows little time to contemplate or consider anything, so reflective thinking is also out of the question. I am never truly present when I am doing something, as I am always thinking about what I plan to do when I'm finished. Which sometimes leads to feeling totally overwhelmed and I do nothing – the dreaded procrastination.

When I think about slowing down, it makes me feel uncomfortable. I think that I was born with just an on and off switch. There are times when I like the fact that I get things done quickly and if something is exceptionally urgent, I’m your girl! I will work through the night; I will be wide awake at 4 am madly working to finish off the task at hand, of course with the help of no less than five cups of coffee. The problem is I have less control over when I turn the switch on and off than I would like. I suspect that filling my life with stuff to do (or spending time thinking about stuff I need to do) is merely mental clutter that distracts me from what is actually going on in my life. Not unlike physical clutter, mental clutter is really just a self imposed barrier to being real with yourself. If my mind was relieved of all this clutter I fear that I would not be as interesting and my day would not be nearly as important as I think it is.
David B. Bohl, author of Slow Down Fast has listed the following causes of mental clutter
Avoidance Behaviours that Clutter the Mind: Avoiding unpleasant tasks and sometimes piling on additional responsibilities to validate the avoidance.
The Dangers of Indecision: Usually caused by the fear of making the wrong decision.  Then doing nothing creates stress that builds upon itself
Overcoming the Feeling of Being Overwhelmed: When we have too much to do we are frozen and uncertain where to begin – usually caused by an overloaded calendar or large projects.

Reducing mental clutter requires being a little more compassionate with yourself, letting yourself off the hook sometimes. It is necessary to be cognisant of your physical and mental limitations. Be kind to your body and allow yourself to experience the feeling of relaxation. It is important to find pleasure in the task at hand and (even the mundane). I have listed some tips below that may help eliminate some of your mental clutter.

  • Take large tasks and break them down so they are smaller and more achievable
  • Use some type of time management tool
  • Reduce negative self talk
  • Write down your thoughts – this often enables you to let go of them
  • Incorporate relaxation into your day (don’t wait until you are stressed)
  • Don’t be a slave to your cell phone or email
  • Stop over scheduling your day
  • Ask for help
  • Delegate
  • Take time for yourself
  • Do activities that feed your soul (not just your mind)
  • Remember that like physical clutter – eliminating mental clutter creates room for new things in your life.
  • Exercise
  • Meditation



No comments:

Post a Comment